Sunday, October 29, 2006

Conviction

Well, I was convicted today. Have you ever gone to church and just known that the Lord developed the sermon or lesson just for you? That was today for me.

Today was all about faith. About trusting in things unseen, much like my plea yesterday. "Why can't I just see a glimpse of His plan?"

One of my sweet friends reminded me of the cross stitch analogy. That sometimes all we see is the underside with the knots, unexpected color changes, etc., & we can't see the beautiful masterpiece on the front.

The sermon this morning talked about being Driven to Serve which allowed me to take the focus off of me and my selfishness. This prepared my heart to hear the lesson in Sunday School. Our lesson was from Hebrews 11. I encourage you to get out your bible and read it or click on the link to read it online. Wow!

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. -So, we don't need visible proof to trust in the Lord & His plan.

Hebrews 11:2
This is what the ancients were commended for. -God rewards our faith.

Hebrews 11:3
By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.-God's Word, the Bible, His command, is what formed the universe out of unseen things. Therefore, we can rely on His perfect Word to guide us through what we can't see (my biggest problem)!!

Today we also discussed all of the heroes of the Bible that trusted in the Lord without seeing anything. Such as Noah. It had NEVER rained, yet the Lord told him to build a massive ark and fill it with animals. How absolutely crazy would people think we were if we did something of the sort? However, he had faith & a holy fear that the Lord had called him to it and so he obeyed. He didn't wait to see the rain to start building it.

We also discussed how there is a misconception that being a follower of Christ means that your life will be rosey! It's actually quite the opposite. We can look through the Word of God and see many that had great faith and obedience, that lost their lives, their families, etc. Even Jesus, who lived a perfect life on this earth, He still faced death on a cross and was brutally beaten, as well. So, needless to say, I was quite convicted today that I don't need to see God's plan to know that He cares for me and has a plan for me.

We also discussed how it's all about perspective! One of the guys in our class was discussing joy in sufferings and brought up James 1:2. He reminded us all of Ben's perspective about his cancer. When Ben first told our Sunday School class that he had cancer, the words out of his mouth were, "I'm looking forward to this!" Wow! What perspective and what amazing lessons I can learn from my husband!

Here is some of James 1:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord James 1:6-7

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

So, back to the lesson yesterday, that perseverance, character, and hope, are all apparently being developed in me. I just hope that I can have Ben's attitude from here on out, that I'm looking forward to the trials ahead of me as opportunities to give God the glory.

I received this in an e-mail tonight:

God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

In closing:

Hebrews 11: 24-27
By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.

What a challenge to me and to you to look ahead to our reward (eternity with Christ), rather than focus on the pleasures of this world!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You both are amazing and such special people. Ben, I pray each day and night, to continue to give you strength and encouragement during this "period" in your life. Meredith, you are also in prayers to continue to give you enough strength you need for both Ben and you! Miss you.