Saturday, October 28, 2006

Oh baby!!

Well, my mantra today has been, "I know it's part of God's plan, but I'd just like to see a glimpse of His ultimate plan so I know why I'm enduring all of this!"

Today has been a bit frustrating (emotional, maybe). A few of you know that the doctors allowed us to put off Ben's chemo for a few weeks so that we could try to get pregnant. Reason being, due to the chemo, we can not try to get pregnant for at least a year after his treatments are over because it can remain in his body for that long & cause serious birth defects. So, they gave us one shot & my doctor gave me meds to take to increase our chances & then an injection to make sure my body did exactly what it was supposed to do (I'm sparing y'all the medical terms b/c I know there are men that read this that don't care for those details). Well, apparently a baby isn't a part of God's plan for us right now. Probably good for my manager since I've already been out so much with being sick earlier this year and now Ben's stuff and he's been so supportive. So, we're not pregnant. As much as that would add a "stress" to all that is going on, it was quite disappointing to not be...

So, I moped a bunch today that we're not pregnant, my husband has cancer, and Ben was invited to go to the A&M/Baylor game (no fair)!! Come on, I worked for the athletic department at A&M. Surely I enjoy football more than him and should have been there. Anyway, he is hopefully driving back right now from Waco as the Aggies beat Baylor 31-21.

Despite the pity party that I've been throwing for myself today, I have received some precious encouragement from friends. One friend e-mailed me that she had been praying for us and followed it up with this scripture:

...through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.Romans 5:2-4


So, I'm assuming this means the Lord is producing perseverance, character, & hope in me. Why does it have to be so hard and yucky?

Anyway, Ben is doing very well. He seems to have an ache in his stomach every morning and then it works its way out as the day progresses. His fingers are still numb, but he's learning to not be too annoyed with it. Otherwise, he's doing great. He got his hair trimmed on Friday and turns out that his barber lost her husband to cancer and so Ben was able to have a great discussion with her. He said it was the best hair cut he'd ever had!

Ben also got to spend some time with our Congressman, Ralph Hall, on Friday. It was a special time for him as Congressman Hall's first question for Ben was, "How are we going to beat this?" Anyway, he showed precious concern for Ben and told him that he thinks about him everyday and is praying for him. So precious that despite an election & running the country he takes time to remember Ben, pray for him, and show concern! Please pray for his wife Mary Ellen as she is suffering from severe Parkinson's and is fed through a tube now.

Thank you all for listening to my ramblings today. Hopefully, we all have more perseverance, character, & hope! Here is some scripture that has encouraged me tonight!!

...that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.
Romans 1:12

2 Corinthians 7
Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
Paul's Joy
Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
For when we came into Macedonia, this body of ours had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.
Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while—yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter. So even though I wrote to you, it was not on account of the one who did the wrong or of the injured party, but rather that before God you could see for yourselves how devoted to us you are. By all this we are encouraged.
In addition to our own encouragement, we were especially delighted to see how happy Titus was, because his spirit has been refreshed by all of you. I had boasted to him about you, and you have not embarrassed me. But just as everything we said to you was true, so our boasting about you to Titus has proved to be true as well. And his affection for you is all the greater when he remembers that you were all obedient, receiving him with fear and trembling. I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.

My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Colossians 2:2-3

Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,...
Hebrews 6:17-19

No comments: